The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released the first look at their upcoming Netflix docuseries, Harry & Meghan, which premieres on the streaming services next week, promising viewers an intimate look at ”what goes on behind closed doors”.
The minute-long preview features never-before-seen photos from the couple’s private collection, as well as glimpses of the interviews they give on camera, including a dramatic moment where Prince Harry says, “I had to do everything I could to protect my family”. In another moment, Meghan is seated next to Harry with her hands over her face.
Happier photographs flashed on screen include ones of Meghan while pregnant, light-hearted family days out, and a joyous wedding snap that is sure to delight fans of the couple.
The long-anticipated programme, the result of Harry and Meghan’s high-profile deal with the streaming platform, will land on 8 December, just days after the Prince and Princess of Wales return from their three-day visit to Boston.
It also comes after royal aide Lady Susan Hussey stepped down from her honorary role in the household amid a race row over “unacceptable” comments made to a Black charity campaigner at a Buckingham Palace reception hosted by the Queen Consort.
The trailer opens with a producer asking, “why do you want to make this documentary?” before a slideshow of photos documenting Harry and Meghan’s relationship flashes up, as well as a photo of the Prince and Princess of Wales taken at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in 2018. King Charles III and the Queen Consort are also pictured.
Prince Harry says, “no one sees what goes on behind closed doors”, before a black and white photo of Meghan looking distressed on the phone flashes up. The duchess later speaks on camera, saying in an interview: “When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make sense to hear our story from us?”
Page Six recently reported that the couple parted ways with the show’s original director, Garrett Bradley, over differing opinions, with a source dubbed an “industry insider” telling the outlet: “There were a few sticky moments between them, and Garrett left the project”. They instead turned to Liz Garbus to helm the series, who has previously worked on hits including The Handmaid’s Tale.
The duke and duchess, who signed a deal with Netflix in 2020, have been collaborating with the streamer on the upcoming series for over a year. Reports emerged in May that the pair had welcomed cameras into their Californian home to film the series, although it is still unknown whether their children, Archie, three, and Lilibet, one, will feature.
It comes as the Prince and Princess of Wales continue their visit to the U.S., which will culminate in the star-studded Earthshot Prize Awards ceremony on Friday night.