LONDON – Britain’s Queen Elizabeth will miss next week’s Commonwealth Service, Buckingham Palace has said, in what was due to have been the 95 – year – old’s first in – person public engagement since being advised to rest by her doctors.
The world’s oldest and longest – reigning monarch, has been little seen since she spent a night in hospital last October for an unspecified ailment, and was then instructed by her medical team to rest.
Last month, she tested positive for COVID-19 suffering mild cold – like symptoms, but was well known enough to meet Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau at Windsor Castle on Monday.
However, Buckingham Palace said her son and heir Prince Charles would act in her place at next week’s annual service for the Commonwealth of 54 nations which she heads.
‘After discussing the arrangements with the Royal Household, the Queen has asked The Prince of Wales to represent Her Majesty at the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on Monday’, the Palace said in a statement.
‘The queen will continue with other planned engagements, including in person Audiences, in the week ahead’.
The decision was not related to any illness, but because related to discussion about the comfort of getting the queen to and from the service.